ACG Parnell College has started up an Olympic Weightlifting Team. Students who are part of the team will attend at least two trainings after school. There will be scheduled competitions throughout the year where they compete against other youth, as well as the opportunity to attend the Secondary School Nationals in August 2020.
Worried about your child being involved? There are numerous studies conducted by leading sport science authorities such as National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA) and Australian Strength and Conditioning Association (ASCA) that suggest that resistance training such as Olympic Weightlifting is a safe and effective activity for young athletes to participate in under guidance of a qualified coach. Strength training helps to improve bone, tendon and ligament strength, all of which serve to improve overall sports performance and reduce risk of injury. However, the main benefits of Olympic Weightlifting are increase in power, speed, coordination, and stability. These benefits help create and improve a well-rounded athlete for all sports.
Here is what you need to know:
- Must be signed up to Gillies Ave Weightlifting Gym (yearly membership).
- First five to sign up get their first term of coaching free.
- Training during the holiday break if wanting to start sooner.
- Students must be at least 13 years of age to start.
- A free trial is available before a commitment is made.
- Must attend at least two trainings a week (may attend more if they wish).
If you are interested or have any further questions, please email the teacher in charge at firstname.lastname@example.org